Death toll and injured overwhelms hospital in Haiti

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — The dead overwhelmed the General Hospital morgue, and the injured outnumbered doctors and nurses Thursday as rescue workers from across the globe struggled to reach the shattered island and distribute much-needed food, water and medical supplies.

At the morgue, police, civilians and private contractors clearing rubble were forced to leave corpses in piles outside the facility, where survivors searched among the dead for their loved ones.

The Haitian Red Cross estimates the number of deaths at between 45,000 and 50,000, and there appear to be few places to store or bury the bodies.

The General Hospital morgue has no working generator, and Haitians have been recovering bodies and putting them in the back of pickup trucks or piling them onto sidewalks.

Since late Wednesday, about 60 dump trucks have circulated the city collecting the dead and taking them to the landfill.

On Thursday, the mayor of Port-au-Prince said he wanted to bury more than a 100 bodies in the city cemetery but he struggled to find equipment to allow him to dig a mass grave big enough to fit them all.

Haiti’s President Rene Preval estimated 7,000 bodies were removed from the streets of the capital, as Haitians struggled to find a place to bury their dead. Residents of one area where a mass grave is located protested adding more corpses.

Guy LaRoche, manager of the General Hospital, ran out of space to store the dead.

“We have about 2,000 dead bodies so far — on the floor outside,” LaRoche said. “We don’t have the authorization from the government to take the bodies out of here. We are the hospital — everyone brings the bodies here. The morgue is full.”

The injured also went to the hospital, where they pitched makeshift tents outside and waited for help. Many were wrapped in bloodied bandages and bound in cardboard splints.

LaRoche said the hospital was understaffed, and running out of water.

“Everything is going wrong,” he said. “We have nothing. The problem is the employees. I normally have about 150 doctors. Today, I do not have 20. They have families, too.”

As corpses were layed out on the street, a small group of solemn onlookers watched. One woman waited beside a pine box, trying to find her loved one.

The mass of naked, swollen dead bodies included toddlers and adults, and made a gruesome scene as flies hovered over their bodies.

One woman’s body had a red ribbon and a handwritten name tag tied to her left big toe.

Lionel Gaedi went to the morgue to find his brother, Josef.

“I don’t see him,” Gaedia said. “It’s a catastrophe. God gives, God takes.”

Gaedi looked at the mass of bodies exposed to the blazing sun and gave up, sure that he would never find his brother in the pile.

Canadian medical consultant Yuri Zelenski said he was working with local authorities to find a solution to the morgue’s overcrowding.

I have never been to anything like this,” Zelenski said as he looked on in disgust. “I am shocked. I am short for words. These are hundreds of people, not buried. The morgue here was not designed for such a disaster.

At Canapé Vert hospital, women and babies wailed in pain while a single doctor tended to them.

“My wife! My wife!” a man shouted to anyone who walked past. He pointed to his wife, Mirlaine Michel, who had lost a foot.

Meanwhile, many on the island waited for help to arrive from the many nations that have pledged aide but found it difficult to reach those who need it most.

The Associated Press reported rescue crews encountering bottlenecks at Port-au-Prince’s main airport, Toussaint L’Ouverture, which was short on jet fuel and ramp space and operating without a control tower.

Still, some aide was able to get through to a desperate population.

“People have been almost fighting for water,” aid worker Fevil Dubien told the AP as he distributed water from a truck in a northern Port-au-Prince neighborhood.

Patience already was wearing thin among the poorest who were waiting for aid, David Wimhurst, spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission, told the AP.

“Unfortunately, they’re slowly getting more angry and impatient, because when they see us moving — and we’re patrolling the streets, the military and the police are out patrolling the streets in order to maintain a calm situation, so that humanitarian aid can be delivered,” he told the AP.

President Barack Obama, who pledged $100 million in aid to Haiti, said U.S. troops were on their way in what he called “one of the largest relief efforts in history.”

The first of 800 paratroopers of the 82nd Airborne Division were to deploy to Haiti from North Carolina, to be followed by more than 2,000 Marines.

But aide has been slowed by blocked roads, and damage to the airport and seaport. The United Nations, which traditionally coordinates relief efforts, has been devastated by the earthquake, adding to the difficulty of distributing international aid.

UN headquarters collapsed in the earthquake, killing at least three dozen workers. Another 200 are reported missing, including the mission chief.

Complicating the rescue efforts Thursday afternoon was a shut down of the Port-au-Prince airport to all but military flights, freezing efforts by relief agencies to get supplies into Haiti by private cargo planes.

An Amerijet cargo plane that left Miami International Airport for Port-au-Prince was forced to land in the Dominican Republic after getting word midflight it would not be able to land in Haiti.

The city’s principal seaport is also thought to be too damaged to accept cargo ships.

Working overnight, a U.S. search-and-rescue team pulled a man from the wreckage of the U.N. building Thursday morning, where 60 to 100 people are still missing.

After a 5 ½-hour operation, the man emerged from the ruins of the six-story building on his own two feet, held up a fist in salute and climbed down a ladder to embrace rescue and embassy workers.

Tarmo Joveer, a Miami Shores security officer at the U.N., survived the collapse of the building, which pancaked down to a single story. He is a guard for the U.N.’s chief of mission, who remains missing.

Wimhurst, the U.N. spokesman in Haiti, said eight people have been rescued and 13 bodies were recovered Thursday. Earlier in the day U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said 18 peacekeepers and four international police officers were confirmed dead, but it was not immediately clear what the U.N’s total casualty count was.

At the Montana — a 140-room hotel popular with UN personnel, diplomats and the Haitian elite — workers used heavy machinery and dogs to search for those trapped in the rubble.

There were thought to be about 50 people beneath the hotel, and at least four had been able to communicate by knocking on the concrete.

“Go help other people,” said one voice beneath the rubble. “There’s no way you can help me.”

With aftershocks still rocking the city, many Haitians decided to sleep outside Wednesday night.

A dozen young girls slept sitting up, legs folded, backs against a car.

At the Kinam Hotel, where guests were paying upward of $150 a night, many opted to sleep on the grass rather than in their rooms.

Across the street, in St. Pierre’s Plaza, hundreds, possibly thousands camped out, singing hymns overnight.

“God, you are the one who gave me life,” they sang. “Why are we suffering?”

The Red Cross has estimated that at least three million Haitians were affected by the powerful earthquake that shattered the nation Tuesday.

In Geneva, the U.N. said damage to Haiti’s port is preventing ship deliveries and the airport is struggling to handle dozens of incoming flights.

A Fort Lauderdale-based shipper said the cargo cranes along Haiti’s principal pier had tumbled into the water.

Relief agencies have tons of supplies ready to go, but are waiting for assurances the material will get to victims efficiently in Port-au-Prince.

On Thursday morning, American Airlines landed a passenger plane filled with food, soap, diapers and other relief supplies for its employees and civilians in Port-au-Prince, a spokeswoman said. But a second flight has been delayed and a third canceled once the U.S. military sent word that the airport was restricting traffic, American spokeswoman Martha Pantin said.

Diageo, the liquor maker with a large office in Miami and a Guinness brewery in Haiti, hired Amerijet to fly more than 45,000 pounds of relief supplies to Port-au-Prince Friday morning. Amerijet marketing director Christine Richard said she wasn’t sure the Diageo shipment would leave as scheduled.

“We’re hoping,” she said.

On Thursday, the U.S. Army said the first group of soldiers — a little more than 100 — from the 82nd Airborne Division are on their way, the Associated Press reported. The troops will find locations to set up tents and other essentials in preparation for the arrival of another roughly 800 personnel from the division on Friday.

By: The Miami Herald staff writer Trenton Daniel contributed to this report from the Dominican Republic. Special correspondent Stewart Stogel contributed from the United Nations, with reporting in Miami from Herald staff writers Douglas Hanks, Elinor Brecher, Nancy San Martin, Carol Rosenberg, Jim Wyss and Luisa Yanez.


2 Responses to “Death toll and injured overwhelms hospital in Haiti”

  1. This is a great site, I love the theme you are using. I Stumbled it for you and bookmarked it on Digg.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: